May change breeds

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I’m currently thinking of selling all my Serbian highflyers as a lot of my breeding hens were taken and now I only have one who’s fertile and the rest are males. I’m thinking about selling them for $15 each. And after I sell them I may look into keeping some homing pigeons. I’ll be most likely getting some squeakers and training them up, and since I have some Fantails I can put a few in the loft for them so they return. The loft will obviously need to have a trap added, and better perches. They’ll just be for hobby, I won’t be racing. What do you think?

I may look into keeping some homing pigeons.
I would not own anything but when it comes to pigeons. Well I would not mind having a pair of white Indian fantails (to use as drop birds). I have not come across any in my area and so I do not have any.
I also do white dove release in my region and it helps supplement the cost of keeping my birds.

By no means though do I make a profit.

Last edited:
I got 4 king pigeons, that’ll hopefully be two breeding pairs. I may also next weekend get those other ones that I uploaded a picture of, as the person wasn’t available this weekend.

The person sexed them by their toes, apparently hens have even toes and males have uneven ones. I have never heard of that before.

Anyways, the birds I got included:
- A recessive red
- A white (who looks a bit off)
- A pied
- A white checkered (my favourite)

They were in an overcrowded pen with a bunch of other breeds of pigeons. The white male is pretty dirty. Apparently, the fellow got the birds from Brisbane. He gave me some worming tablets for them, and told me to give them one at 4pm then give them a little food, chuck out the droppings, then tomorrow give them a normal amount until another 6 months when they need to get wormed again. I’ll be keeping the birds in quarantine for a minimum of a month (they won’t be put into the loft until the 6/11/19) just in case something is up with them. I think there’s a higher risk of them carrying a virus, although the guy who I got them off medicates and worms his birds regularly.

2D7561A6-5D82-42DE-BA1B-9830569402C0.jpeg
2A09F228-F2CE-4DCD-A584-0013FF931ECE.jpeg
F8BAF380-4C3A-452F-AB7F-FA488DB7DD6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I’m currently thinking of selling all my Serbian highflyers as a lot of my breeding hens were taken and now I only have one who’s fertile and the rest are males. I’m thinking about selling them for $15 each. And after I sell them I may look into keeping some homing pigeons. I’ll be most likely getting some squeakers and training them up, and since I have some Fantails I can put a few in the loft for them so they return. The loft will obviously need to have a trap added, and better perches. They’ll just be for hobby, I won’t be racing. What do you think?
I think it's your preference! It's totally up to you. I really enjoy homers, they are so sturdy when they fly. I have a group of 6 im doing tosses with now.

I looked at your videos, but not sure what pigeons you have currently.
Homers (white) are pretty much the only type for me. Not for racing, but for loft flying and tosses. I also do like High flyers. Wanted some, but never got around to getting any.:( Was looking into some Iranian High Flyers. They were Beautiful birds, All White with Black Wing Tips:love
Rollers, I have no interest in:idunno. They would be hawk food around me. Fantails fall in same category. I do like the way both look, but they would need a large aviary, to be comfortable in. Freeflying not ideal in my area for those.
You do have multiple lofts, and they are really nice:thumbsup(seen in video)
My thinking If I was in your circumstance;
Keep the high Flyers, and see if you could find some more hens.(2 or so) Sell off some of the extra males. Keep pairs.
Your adjacent loft, keep your homers. If you get young, then there is no way knowing what ratio of male female you will have when grown. You don't need to keep the fantail drop birds in that loft, since you are not racing. Your fantails and whatever other breeds you may have can be in adjacent loft to that one.
Trap doors are easily retrofitted to your current opening. You can get the bob's and install. I think you should have them on each loft. This way you can control which set of pigeons you want to loft fly, and when.
I would loft fly/train each breed separately, as well as let all loft fly together when you want to.
Take the homers on tosses of varying distance. Not sure the homing skills of you particular high flyers. I would take for trial tosses, but not very far.

Since you do showing, you may find/encounter others at the shows that can help you search out/acquire the pigeons you are looking for. :highfive:
I don’t show pigeons I show ducks. I just have some show quality ones that I got from a person.

In the meantime,,,, keep the hen and 2 males. If you hatch out young,,,,,,, match up the squab hen (when mature) with the other male. This keeps the gene pool diverse.
I will probably do that if I keep them.

I got 4 king pigeons, that’ll hopefully be two breeding pairs. I may also next weekend get those other ones that I uploaded a picture of, as the person wasn’t available this weekend.

The person sexed them by their toes, apparently hens have even toes and males have uneven ones. I have never heard of that before.

Anyways, the birds I got included:
- A recessive red
- A white (who looks a bit off)
- A pied
- A white checkered (my favourite)

They were in an overcrowded pen with a bunch of other breeds of pigeons. The white male is pretty dirty. Apparently, the fellow got the birds from Brisbane. He gave me some worming tablets for them, and told me to give them one at 4pm then give them a little food, chuck out the droppings, then tomorrow give them a normal amount until another 6 months when they need to get wormed again. I’ll be keeping the birds in quarantine for a minimum of a month (they won’t be put into the loft until the 6/11/19) just in case something is up with them. I think there’s a higher risk of them carrying a virus, although the guy who I got them off medicates and worms his birds regularly.

View attachment 1926939 View attachment 1926940 View attachment 1926941
The white one died so now I have to disinfect everything.

I looked at your videos, but not sure what pigeons you have currently.
Homers (white) are pretty much the only type for me. Not for racing, but for loft flying and tosses. I also do like High flyers. Wanted some, but never got around to getting any.:( Was looking into some Iranian High Flyers. They were Beautiful birds, All White with Black Wing Tips:love
Rollers, I have no interest in:idunno. They would be hawk food around me. Fantails fall in same category. I do like the way both look, but they would need a large aviary, to be comfortable in. Freeflying not ideal in my area for those.
You do have multiple lofts, and they are really nice:thumbsup(seen in video)
My thinking If I was in your circumstance;
Keep the high Flyers, and see if you could find some more hens.(2 or so) Sell off some of the extra males. Keep pairs.
Your adjacent loft, keep your homers. If you get young, then there is no way knowing what ratio of male female you will have when grown. You don't need to keep the fantail drop birds in that loft, since you are not racing. Your fantails and whatever other breeds you may have can be in adjacent loft to that one.
Trap doors are easily retrofitted to your current opening. You can get the bob's and install. I think you should have them on each loft. This way you can control which set of pigeons you want to loft fly, and when.
I would loft fly/train each breed separately, as well as let all loft fly together when you want to.
Take the homers on tosses of varying distance. Not sure the homing skills of you particular high flyers. I would take for trial tosses, but not very far.
Thanks for the recommendation. Also, I currently have fantails, Birmingham rollers (mainly show type), and Serbian highflyers (performance and show type). Problem with the Serbian highflyers is that it’s really hard to come across birds for sale. The last ones I saw for sale were an hour and a bit away and they were $50+ each, and the person wanted bloodlines not to be mixed. I could keep a pair in with the Birmingham rollers to free a section for the racing pigeons.

Problem with the Serbian highflyers is that it’s really hard to come across birds for sale. The last ones I saw for sale were an hour and a bit away and they were $50+ each, and the person wanted bloodlines not to be mixed.
Like I wrote above,,,,, I LIKE HIGHFLYERS,,,, so still would keep them. Hard to come by does not translate to impossible. In time you will cross paths with some. In the meantime,,,, keep the hen and 2 males. If you hatch out young,,,,,,, match up the squab hen (when mature) with the other male. This keeps the gene pool diverse. You just might encounter/find a source of the HARD TO COME BY, by then.
I don't understand why the person does not want his pigeons to be mixed into other bloodlines. I'm sure he has his reasons:idunno
He is not last person on earth with that breed,,,,,, so I would pass on getting from him.
Since you do showing, you may find/encounter others at the shows that can help you search out/acquire the pigeons you are looking for. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom