may I have some opinions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjtowman, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jjtowman

jjtowman New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hemlock NY
    just got some young chicks at the beginning of the month to replace ones that didn't make it over the summer from predetors and nature. well one of them has a twisted beak. figure my options are to cull it,keep it and give it special needs or just let nature take its course. so whats the opinions here?[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Many have had chicks with cross beaks that did just fine. They do need deep food and water dishes, though. For me, if it affects quality of life, it's a cull. I have only had one cross beak chick. And hers was pretty severe by 2 weeks of age. She wasn't able to eat or drink enough any longer, so I did cull her.

3. jjtowman

jjtowman New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hemlock NY
    she is 3 weeks ish

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I've got a 6 month old Cochin cockerel with a worse scissor-beak then that. The flock gets fermented feed and there's an open container of water in addition to the nipple waterers. He is doing fine with normal life quality. Grew at a normal rate. Was way too precocious with the roo behavior (overabundance of testosterone I think), but has settled into a role as a subordinate. I may have to grind a bit of his upper beak off soon as it's getting a little long, but it's a quick, easy procedure with the dremel.

I'd say that if your chick is smart enough to figure out how to use her bottom beak as a shovel, tossing her head back to swallow food/water, then she may live "normally". If she doesn't, you'll see a decline in quality of life and should cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by