May I introduce Cleo...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DIMBY, Aug 23, 2010.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Hello, BYC'ers, been quite a while since I've posted, busy summer with my five "ladies" and my five "little girls." All are well, (but there is a pesky prairie falcon in the neighborhood that we are all watching out for) and going into my second winter with my flock.

I posted a picture of one of my babies last spring since I wasn't sure she was a red sex-link, as sold. Well, she is in her glory now - at only 17 weeks, began to lay her first egg, they are small still, but no 'false starts," - she's such a trooper and one of the the friendliest, chattiest chickens I have. She is now 21 weeks old.

One question about her her eggs - they are a deep chocolate brown, much browner that the 'normal' brown egg.

Here are pictures:
    [​IMG]

not sure the egg picture does these colors justice. Anyway, there is an excellent post on egg color here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4439-egg-color-chart

but I'm not familiar with any of the breeds that are cited for dark brown egg color, the eggs she's laying are like the Marans pictured on that page - and she definately ain't one of those!

Any thoughts?

2. DIMBY

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Probably should have mentioned, the egg in the middle is one of my 'normal' brown eggs.

3. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    She's a beauty. I have some red sex-links but none lay eggs that color, however, there are always some eggs with dark freckles on them. Maybe yours just had an extra dose of color to add. The eggs are nice!

4. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    I am so jealous!! Where did you get this hen and she is a red sex-link?...we have been trying to get some dark eggs like that for years. We now have some RIR, sex-links, and Welsummers and none of them lay that dark color.
    I hope you enjoy them.

5. DIMBY

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    they came from Welp Hatchery, in Iowa. I have four others from them, but they are a very deep red, and haven't begun to lay eggs yet, I'll be very curious about egg color when they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by