May I open the incubator? Please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyanLuv, Dec 31, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I have six little babies running around inside of the incubator, 3 that are dry, 2 that are mostly dry and one that is still wet and about another 20 eggs still to hatch. Today is day 21. Can I take the little rascals out of the incubator? I have read to wait until they are all done hatching before opening it up but they are running around in there like crazy. Can I atleast take out the dry ones quick? I have been diligently sitting on my hands trying not to touch but it is SO HARD!!! Comments? Suggestions? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Keep sitting. Don't open the incubator. You'll put the unhatched eggs at risks. Wait until they have all hatched. WAIT.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just wait 24hrs more and quickly slip them out tomorrow!

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    Will the oldest one be ok that long? He hatched out at 6pm last night.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They will be good for 72hrs without food and water. I usually take them out at most 48hrs after hatch though. The shipped birds often go 72hrs.

6. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    if you are hatching 40 eggs is it ok to leave them in there with all that crazyness going on? say you have 15 or 20 running around....ok? i understand that they can make it with out the food or water, i was just wondering about the crazyness and havoc.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The craziness has just begun[​IMG][/img]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Patience and sit on those hands!! They are fine and actually help the other chicks in the eggs to pip and want out!! I leave mine til the hatch is completed.

9. Next time use the EGG carton method. Be sure to use the cartons that have the holes on the bottoms (for humidity), this way the ones running about will not disturb the ones not yet hatched.

It really works great. i did not try it until the fall and I will never be without the egg carton again.

10. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Open the bator, ONLY IF YOU WANT TO KILL SOME OF THE CHICKS. Like the others have said they will be fine until all of them have dried.
    If you still have some unhatched eggs after 2 days you can take them out, but do it quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by