May I see your cold weather coops, pretty please?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kira782, Jul 1, 2011.

1. kira782

kira782 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    We started building our coop this week (and when i say we I mean my husband) and so far its looking amazing (for being a foundation and half the framing). I'm interested to see coops in areas that can get below freezing durning the winter to see how much and what kind of ventilation you have. Just gathering ideas for design and efficiency. Thanks!

2. FalcoOat

FalcoOat Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Fargo, ND
    i just posted mine in this forum ("The Coop that may never be")... it is fully insulated, including the nesting boxes! of course we live in Fargo, ND, so i kind of felt that was a must if i wasn't doing any electrical heat. i put 4 vents at the top, and we have 3 windows that open. i am hoping that is enough for ventilation.

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    [​IMG]

It is a backyard coop in Anchorage AK. -20 in Jan. The ventilation is 2" x 8' along the roof line front and back. It is only insulated on 3 walls around the roost, which is a 2x4 layed on the long side. I can reach the entire inside from the front door. We were told by the locals that if it is over insulated, even with roof line ventilation, condensation hangs low around the birds and freezes their toes. I will use a light bulb to keep them laying, but no heat. I work at home so I can change the water every few hours. The chickens are Orps which have the feather to withstand the cold. They free range in the summer. So far they do not go down to the enclosed area much. Most people say theirs stay in during the winter months too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by