1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

May I see your ventilation pics?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Momagain1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    remember all, I'm a visual learner!

Hubby seems to think that two "window openings" will be good enough for 25 birds..I'm thinking not.

Can anyone who has a larger number of birds that need to be cooped for the winter post pics plz? TIA!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Have you seen this page?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Lots of excellent advice there. For 25 chickens, as a rule of thumb you should be aiming for about 25 square feet of ventilation, which is probably quite a bit more than what you'll get from two windows unless they're really big windows!

The other problem with windows as ventilation is that they're usually lower down, closer to roost level. If you leave windows open in winter it can let cold wind blow right in and over the birds as they roost, which is the definition of a "draft" and that's what you need to avoid.

Wide rectangle type vents up at the top of walls work very well and you can make awning style hinged flaps to cover them, allowing you to easily open and close the vents as your weather and wind patterns dictate.

There are pictures of these kind of vents on my page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    You really want to be able to open it up in nice weather.
    Pats Ventilation page is a great resource.
    Just remind the Hubby that you will need Big ventilation that can be closed down when weather gets nasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by