1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

may need to buy chicks, breed advice wanted

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Niss, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My first attempt at using a broody to keep the flock going is not off to a good start. So I have been thinking if I need to buy more birds, what type shall I pick? I am interested in somethong that forages, lays 4+ eggs a week, is personable, makes a good mama, and has some mesure of self defence (quick or camo, something).
    Top runners at this time are black australorps and dominiques.
    Of the birds we have now I like my sex links the best for personality although they aren't all that pretty. My son loves his bar rocks.
    My original pick was anconas--how do they stack up?
    Since there is thrift in quantities, I want to avoid getting one of everything!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Well it all falls down to what kind of environment you have, like cold butt winters or hot hot summers. And since you want 4+ eggs a week look for the ones that lay the most, like Speaked Suusex hens lay one egg every day and are cold hardy and lay through the winter as well (so i read mine are not old enough) But for the mama part i think you should check out this link and see what breed best fit you.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It states the breeds, the number of eggs, cobs and all of that. Then once you pick out a breed or so google it a bit more to see if it will be good for you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    if i was you i would go with any kind of orpington most likely buff. they are good layer and are really good mothers , they are really good because they lay all year long even in the winter ( most breeds don't). animals don't tend to pick on them because they look so big. now when a hen or rooster get to old to do there job (only if your up to it) they make a great eating bird. there personality is very sweet they will let you pick them up all you want, they also do great with children and other chickens. [​IMG]

4. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Buff Orps are friendly, and mine (when not broody) lays one tan egg per day. [​IMG]

If you go on MyPetChicken.com you can answer a few questions on their breed selector and they'll suggest about six breeds with pictures. That is how I chose the breeds I have. I will say that I have one EE (Is she Amerucana? Not sure). She is one month old, but so far, my least friendly bird. Maybe it's a fluke, [​IMG] but she's skittish compared to my Brahma and Barred Rock.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for the help!
    The quiz on my pet chicken wasn't quite as indepth as I hoped, but it confirmed Australorps as a good choice and both My Pet Chicken and the Ithaca chart (wow, that was pretty cool!) piont to Sussex as a real contender.
    I also think dorkings are really neat, but they are kinda exspensive for a bird that isn't particularly useful, and reading how delicate they are turned me off.

6. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have 22 RIR's . They are suppose t lay enough (only have one laying at the moment) and they are good mamas. But they are aggressive in some cases, I do have about 3 that didn't like it at all when I tried to introduce the new chicks to them but the rest of them seem to like them. We did get them though BECAUSE they were aggressive, that way if anything DID happen to get into the coop (even though I have chicken wire around it with bells and like 5 locks on the door) they can defend themselves. When you raise them though, hold them a lot when they are little, they won't be mean to you. They all love me, I held them everyday when they were in my room as chicks and now they follow me around like I'm a mama duck. They're not to fond of the rest of my family though, besides my mom. Either way, if you handle them right when they're young they'll love you. So I would highly suggest some RIRs.

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have been told repeatedly by the locals that Orpingtons are the way to go. Reliable egg layers and hardy.
    But we are at over a mile high and we get cold windy winters. No super cold, but down to -10F once in a while.
    Our biggest problem is the wind, regularly over 45 mph sustained winds with 75+ mph gusting in the winter.
    My friend tells of stories about his uncles Buff Orp roosters attacking and chasing off coyotes. [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I like my red chickens if your looking for eggs. I also like Doms & BR'S. Dom's are great foragers atleast mine is.

9. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Dominiques!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by