may need to go somewhere else but need answers to some genetics questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by maransfan16, Nov 2, 2014.

1. maransfan16

maransfan16 Songster

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    if i need to go somewhere else i will but i am working on a project by crossing standard buff brahmas and golden comets i have raised one pullet to maturity and i don't see how i got this leg color. like i said the cross is a brahma rooster and a gold comet hen both of course have yellow legs but somehow this hen has emerald green legs. i know it was the buff brahma roo because of her comb as he is my only bird without a single comb and hers is sort of a combo between the two types. and she is marked up like a golden comet as well. i only have one bird with the same color legs as her and it is an EE hen and i know it isn't the mother because i didn't hatch any green eggs in the batch this pullet is out of if someone can help i would appreciate it and if needed i will take pics of the pullet and her parents if it helps

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Songster

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Pictures would help[​IMG]

3. maransfan16

maransfan16 Songster

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    snapped these for another reason a few weeks ago i will have to take pics of her legs in the morning obviously you can identify the dad. the hen i am posting is one of the four i had at the time they are all practicly identical the last two pics are of the hen in question you can see her legs but not well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What other breeds of hens do you have? The fact that she's colored like a rsl doesn't necessarily mean her mother was one, that buff rooster is going to throw gold/orange chicks.

5. maransfan16

maransfan16 Songster

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    well the batch of eggs she came out of were all brown and a few white eggs and to the best of my memory only one of them hatched and my only white egg layers are a houdan hen and a fayoumi hen so that is why i don't believe it was one of those and then the only brown egg layers i have are six or seven french black copper marans hens and the golden comets. now at the time i did have a silver campine rooster but his legs are slate colored. and then there are the feathered legs and the brahma and marans are the only ones i have with feathered legs

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. maransfan16

maransfan16 Songster

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    here are pics of her legs hope they work also i added an up close shot of her comb to show you what i meant there also the black hen i believe is a brahma marans she has the same comb type as the one i am asking about but i don't know yet guess egg color wil help i have her seperated so i can see what she lays

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by