May sound dumb... but

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenltle, Sep 26, 2007.

1. chickenltle

chickenltle Hatching

Aug 7, 2007
    Does a hen have to be fertilized for each egg for that egg to be viable? Or does one breeding take care of several eggs being fertile?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'm sure a rooster would say he needs to fertilize each egg [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

After a successful fertilization, every egg that hen lays up to about two weeks should be fertile. Sometimes, longer that that, but mostly around two weeks.

4. Arklady

Arklady Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    a rooster only has to mate with the hen once to fertilize several eggs in a batch.

They can sometimes be fertilized from 3 to 4 weeks just from one mating..

Arklady

5. homecatmom

homecatmom Songster

good to know. Since I can't have a rooster, I can take one of the girls out on a "date" and should be able to collect fertile eggs for a couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't make her feel like a little tramp...[​IMG]

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:If you know someone with a rooster, I would just exchange eggs with them if they are willing, that way no quaranteen issues would enter into the equation

7. chickenltle

chickenltle Hatching

Aug 7, 2007
    Thank you all so very much. We had tried the "date" and our RIR tried to tear our friends BA apart. So we went and got her a Roo of her own.

8. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    homecatmom Wrote:
    I can take one of the girls out on a "date" and should be able to collect fertile eggs for a couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't make her feel like a little tramp...hmm

Now, dats is funny right there! I don't care who y-are, dats funny rite there!​

9. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    Now on a serious side......

Will hatching the first few eggs layed by a fertile hen increase the % of pullets. Like when breeding dogs the first time a male and female are stuck is when you get the better chance of female pups?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by