Maybe a dumb question about rose combs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochin_kookoo, Sep 14, 2012.

1. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    I am looking in to getting a new breed of chickens for a breeding project. I fell in love with rosecombs and started looking for somewhere to buy some for next year. As I was looking I saw a rosecomb leghorn that looked exactly like the rosecombs I had been looking at. So my possibly dumb question is are these the same birds? Is Rosecomb short for rosecomb leghorn? I appreciate the help, I have been looking all over the web trying to answer this by myself but finally realized it was time to turn to the chicken masters [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is a recognized bantam breed known as Rosecombs in several colors. There are also other breeds that have rose comb varieties. Did that help?

3. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    I think so... so they are different breeds then. Do you know where I can get rosecomb bantams in the spring?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I woud suggest going to a local poultry show and talking to some of the Rosecomb exhibitors. Several of the hatcheries sell rosecombs, but the quality is quite variable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by