1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maybe a silly question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JessicaGrant, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I got my first egg on Friday from my flock of 4 Ameraucanas that are all different ages. I can't do the math right now, but the breeder gave us their hatch dates, 4/16, 5/24, 6/2 and 6/14. I assumed that the egg was from Apple, the one born in April, though they all have gotten really red combs and at least one other is squatting.

So...one egg Friday, then nothing all weekend, and two eggs this morning. Could Apple have laid two eggs (in two different nests, by the way) because she didn't lay on the weekend?

If it is more likely that one of the younger girls is laying, why would hens of such different ages start laying only a couple of days apart? I remember in boarding school all the girls would get their periods at the same time...is it something like that? (Sorry if that is TMI for this board!)

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    All of your chickens are old enough to start laying. My guess would be the 2 of the 3 oldest laying.

3. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    Thanks! And thanks for answering my other question, too...I'll be putting more hay in the nests today...they seem to like to kick it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by