Maybe a stupid ? bout roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dr8goons, Jun 10, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I'm new to the whole chicken thing im actuly hatching my first set of chicks now and it got me thinking about rooster this might be a stupid question but you never know till you ask lol. I odered eggs and when i did i got diffrant breeds to see which i like my question is, can one rooster fertilize diffrant breeds? or do i need a rooster of each breed?
    thanks

2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    A rooster will mate with any breed! Several times a day! They aren't picky just as long as there are hens around. [​IMG]

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Roosters will try to mate with any bird that is their general size, like pheasant, guinea, geese, etc... lol

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I actually see one of my roosters prefer other breeds...must be that old adage..."opposites attract".

5. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Since when is a male picky [​IMG]:lol:

Barnyard specials area always my favorite! I love to see what kind of baby your going to get when you start crossing breeds. Sometimes it looks like one of the parents, sometimes its somethink completly different.

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I just got a mental visual of a banty roo trying to mate with a pigeon.

7. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You ought to see a banty rooster try to top a standard sized hen, it is a riot! If he can get a hold of her, he will get on top, but can't really reach anything, and while he is trying, the hen will get up and walk around with him trying to get his business done...lol

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    LOL! ya think they can't reach anything but i have 2, 3 month old babies who are a result of a cochin bantam (dad) mating with a huge ameraucana(mom) They find a way to make it work.... I have even been out in the yard bending over in the coop cleaning things out and had my big roo try to mount me :|

9. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

years ago, before we moved to the country we would come visiting in the summer to walk the woods and the creek and show our son the nature that just does not exist in the city.
    a old lady neighbor of my aunt came by and h ad a chicken in her hands.. maybe 3 weeks old and already showing true rooster signs. Of course, Alan my son perhaps 8 at the time had to have it.. and so we took it home.. He became very good friends with our dog and even slept in the dog house with him.
    as he matured he discovered how much fun it was to "breed" with a foot ball that stayed pretty much in the back yard at all times. It became HIS and he protected it.. tried to feed it and of course wore it out as he made love to that foot ball. a story we love to remember when we are thinking of Alan.. and his friends.. Alan Gatley 1974-2004.. rest in peace my darling..

10. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh my gigidy....I think I will remember that story for the rest of my life. that is way to funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by