1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

maybe a stupid question..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davecash, Jul 23, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    BUT... how come some of my chickens lay eggs in the morning, and others lay in the evening?

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    All Chickens are on differant cycles. Most lay an egg every 24- 36 hours. They will lay in the morning and lay a little later each day till it gets too dark to lay, then they take a day off and start again in the morning.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Think of it like this....some women give birth in the morning, some in the evening. LOL

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Except not every day, like a chicken (THANK GOD!)! [​IMG]

5. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    My RIR do it in the afternoon...my black mommas do it in the night....my reds do it ALL THE TIMe!!!!

6. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    That was a serious joke....serious and a joke at the same time.......bah

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Actually it takes 25 hours to produce an egg. Each hen will lay a little later each day until the end of the clutch. Some will then go broody and some will take a leave and start to lay again in the morning. Egg collection will vary from time to time depending on your hens cycle.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by