Maybe a stupid question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Missbehavin, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    I plan on having a 4 x 4 coop for about 2-3 birds with a run, however, I would like to let them out during the day when I am home in a fenced yard about 1/2 acre. Question is.... The fence is wire about 3ft tall. Will they fly over the fence? Is it o.k. to leave them out during the day and do they usually go back to the coop in the evening?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I would like to know these things before I get my birds.
    Thanks
    deb from Texas

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Chickens will get out over a three foot high fence, and predators will get in. Your run needs a roof. Chickens will return to their coop at night as long as you keep them in there for several days so they know that's where they belong. Just because it's daytime does not mean they are safe from predators. Hawks, vultures, stray dogs etc. will eat them. So if you are gone, safer to keep them penned up. Chicken wire is no good for keeping predators out, you need welded wire. And you need a skirt so critters don't dig under.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Depends upon your chickens if they will stay in a 3 foot fence. I have a bunch who will and I have those who will not (often within the same breed [​IMG] ).

Letting them out to roam around really is great and the best for them. They will/should go back to their coop before it starts getting too dark to see - each bird is a bit different........I have some who go to roost 1/2 hour before sunset and those who scramble for a place 10 minutes before sunset.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Some chickens will fly over a 10 ft fence, some won't go over a 2 ft one (like my RSL). Depends on the breed and their desire to get out. You can always clip a wing to contain them. Also depends on your local predators as to how safe it is to free range them. Mine free range all day behind a 6 ft privacy fence and have never gotten out. And so far, no losses.

5. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    they say chickens can fly short distances as high as 6 foot, maybe clip one wing on each. But I would be more concerned with the predators, would feel more safe with a 6 ft privacy fence but not even that is a sure bet.

6. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I will take a stab at answering.....

Three foot is not tall enough. I have heavy birds and they don't seem to have a problem with flying five feet at least so your chickens will likely clear a 3ft tall fence.

The decision of leaving them out during the day in an uncovered run has a lot to do with what kind of predators are around whether the run is covered or not. I would be nervous about it if it isn't covered.

They will go back to the coop in the evening though you may have to 'train' them. If you have an automatic door they will learn to figure out when they should go in.

Best of luck!

7. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Wow, I would love to let them out of the covered run and am willing to clip their wings. Only problem is there are hawks that frequent the area. I also have a small chihuahua and have worried about the samething. She stays in unless she goes out to do her thing. Then fence around the 1/2 acre is welded wire and I really don't have neighbors yet. I guess I need a bigger covered or mobile run.
    Deb

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Some chickens can fly pretty high. My EE can easily fly up past my shoulders, she is a fabulous flier. My d'uccle can fly over 10ft high, but she is a bantam. My brahma and Cochin can not fly at all, but they would be able to flap their wings and climb over walls if they wanted to. Our run is 5 feet tall and the birds do fly to the top. It's best to cover the run. I free range, but in the evening. I supervise every time I let them out of the run. They are done about an hour later and go back into the coop themselves. I lock them in the coop every night and I do let them out in the run about 7:45 am.

9. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    When younger I had an open run and would clip their wings. It sounds easier and more effective than I think it really is. Even though I clipped wings, I cant tell you how many times I came home from work only to find a couple of chickens that had jumped the fence and were a block down the road. The neighbors would get a good laugh out of me chasing the chickens with a huge fishing net. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job but I wouldn't go through it again. You cant beat a covered run.

10. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    My chickens must be lazy. They won't go over a 2 ft plastic fence to get into the garden. And they love tomatoes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by