1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maybe Barred Rock? Sex Link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ahensnest, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ahensnest

ahensnest Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    NW PA
    My Coop
    I thought at first she might be Barred Rock, but I don't know, she doesn't look much like the barred rock chicks I had last year and no barring on her feathers. So maybe sex link?? She's a stray chick that I picked up today and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what breed she might be. Also, how old do you think? 4/6 weeks?

She is really sweet and friendly and yes, I know she shouldn't have corn, I need to wait until monday to get to the mill so she will survive for a day on mash, corn and grass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    sexlink chicks don't have that much white on them. I would say either black australorp or jersey giant. they look like penguins as chicks

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    or maybe a mix

legs dont look right for a ba

4. ahensnest

May 4, 2007
    NW PA
    My Coop
    Thank you! I had no idea since it was a random chick that my sister found roaming around her house. It could be a mix. Guess I'll wait a few more months and see what she turns into!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And you might rethink calling it a she. Those are some big thick legs, I'm thinking a little rooster.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Not a BR. Australorp maybe if the bottom of the feet are white. JG are yellow :thumbsup

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

8. ahensnest

May 4, 2007
    NW PA
    My Coop
    Well darn! Oh well, if she is a he then my cousin will be happy! He likes to get all of my extra roosters for his yard :) My little banty hen adopted her/him and is happily mothering away :)

9. LauraC0911

LauraC0911 New Egg

May 7, 2012
    She looks like my black astralorp - they are great layers and very freindly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by