Maybe Dumb Question?? - Updated - Chick Died

CodyChristine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Belle Plaine, MN
Ok, this may seem like a silly question but:

Is it normal for chicks to breathe with the beaks open?

I have one little chickie who had pasty butt the other day and I've been checking her religiously and making sure she's clean. I've noticed that if she lies directly under the heat lamp she breathes with her beak open, like dogs pant in the sun. When she's out of the direct light, she breathes "normally". The temp has been consistent 92-95 degrees. She is 4 days old. I have a packet of Terramycin here but have not given her any. Do you think I should? They are on non-medicated feed and water with electrolytes in it. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Just feed her normally. It might be that she might be a little too hot when she goes under. Try making a place with enough shade?

I wouldn't just give them a med without identifying a problem.

Sounds like the chick is too hot, even though your temps are right by the book.

Try moving it away from the light to see if it still breathes with its mouth open, if it doesn't then lower the temp a little.

Wow thank you guys for the quick responses! When she out of the light, she is fine. Maybe I'm just being paranoid because I came home yesterday and one that had no symptoms of anything was dead
sad.png
Thanks again!

Well, I woke up this morning and she had died.
sad.png
I'm not suprised. She didn't look good when I went to bed last night. Just lethargic, standing there kind of in a stupor, had to be forced to drink. No more pasty butt but I think she was just failure to thrive. She wasn't growing or as active as the others. It's probably for the best.

Back
Top Bottom