Maybe getting new birds tomorrow

CESOrtega

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
I think we are going to get a few new sisters for our remaining hen tomorrow!
clap.gif
We had two hens but one was killed, leaving a lonely girl behind. I spoke with a man over the phone tonight who raises all types of chickens...lots of different breeds. He has many pullets that are just about to lay so we have lots of ones to choose from. He has a partridge cochin that is ready, which my daughter is really excited about. I might get a buff orpington or a wyandotte. Not sure which will grab my heart first.

I've read some of the advice about how to introduce new birds to existing ones and I think I have a plan. Our hen Cajun doesn't go in the coop much these days. She free ranges during the day and has a favorite shelf picked out in the garage. We let her stay in there locked up overnight. So, I think I will put the new birds in the coop for the quarantine time and let them interact as Cajun roams free. This will also allow the new birds to acclimate to us before we let them roam free, too. Hopefully all will work out well.

This is a new venture for us. Cajun is an adult but she was also the low one on the pecking order from the two we have/had. I have never seen her be aggressive at all. Shelly (the hen who died) was the chief cluck but I never saw her act aggressive, either. So, I am afraid of the idea they might fight. What if the babies attack Cajun? What if Cajun attacks the babies? I guess we will have to stage an intervention
smile.png

I'll keep you posted on what transpires, unless my hubby comes home from fishing tonight and nixes the idea. But, he has said we could get a few more.

Congrats on the new additions. I am loving my wyandottes. As a matter of fact, I just got a blue splash roo and another hen. Now, I have 2 blue splash hens, one roo, and 3 silver laced wyandottes. Of course, then there are the two EE's, one buckeye and one minorca. We also are keeping the new folks seperated.

To make it easy on yourself--make sure the new hens you get are used to each other and get along first. Be prepared for fighting and aggression! It will happen! My hen who was the lowest on the pecking order originally has been the meanest to the newbies. I would also only get two new ones, so they don't beat the c##p out of your single hen. Letting them free range together is the best--they will probably avoid each other for quite a while. Eventually they will iron things out and get along, but it is going to take a while, like weeks.

We got new babies! We got a silver laced Wyandotte, a splash Cochin and a Buff Orpington, all hens. Here they are:

This is Moonlight (Wyandotte) and Sunshine (Orpington)
40074_051.jpg

Splash...our splash Cochin
40074_053.jpg

According to the breeder, they are 5 weeks old today. Does that seem about right? The Cochin defintely has less feathers than the Orp and Wyandotte.

We are enjoying them so much. So far our hen has ignored them.

Back
Top Bottom