Maybe heat???

MadisonOde

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
La Crosse, WI
Hey all,

One of my silkies died today while we were showing her at the fair. It’s been 95° here, and feels like 105°. Most everyone thinks that heat and stress were the case, but I just wanted to make sure as I had a chick die a month ago of cocci. The other chicks were treated and showed no symptoms and the flock is showing no symptoms, nothing odd in their poop except maybe being a little runny. Any ideas would be great.

Yeah I would most probably think it was stress the only thing that annoys me about shows is that they won’t let you take your chickens out for breaks

And yeah especially if I was a silkie because they are super renowned for stress did you see it’s condition get worse through out the day

And yeah especially if I was a silkie because they are super renowned for stress did you see it’s condition get worse through out the day
Honestly I should have paid closer attention, I did notice her food cup being full all the time, but I was thinking whoever was on barn duty kept filling it. Oddly enough, she didn’t seem to be panting at all, even though most of all the other chickens were all weekend.

Hey all,

One of my silkies died today while we were showing her at the fair. It’s been 95° here, and feels like 105°. Most everyone thinks that heat and stress were the case, but I just wanted to make sure as I had a chick die a month ago of cocci. The other chicks were treated and showed no symptoms and the flock is showing no symptoms, nothing odd in their poop except maybe being a little runny. Any ideas would be great.
So.... she finished dead last?! OK, that was unnecessary but I had to....... in all seriousness, sorry for your lost and it's probably due to heat and stress combined. Silkies are known to overheat quicker because of all their feather furs, no?

Back
Top Bottom