Maybe I am crazy... just added myself to next springs waitlist

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
I am so excited! I just put in my initial chick request to Ideal for next springs chicks! I am waitlisted for 10 chicks which are
2 SLW, 3 Blue Wyan. Bantams, 3 silver penciled cochin bantams, and 2 speckled sussex.

The timing could be terrible though. We are in the midst of selling our house and hoping to move into a more rural community (already found the place, just waiting/trying to sell).
So I checked into the ordinance (it is a historical preserve home) and it is chicken friendly! YAAY! But just received an email for the society to let me know that yes I can have chickens in unlimited numbers unless neighbor complain, then I am limited to 10. However I cannot have a permanent outbuilding to house them. ***!?! I can have them so loong as there is no permanent shelter? The lady I spoke to gave me some alternative options )all of which were feasible, but seriously? How is that for stupid ordinances??
Oh well at least I get my girls! And boys!

Last edited:
I have all tractor coops... they aren't permanent!
bun.gif

Nope! I do make sure it's flat though everytime I move them. I think i'm up to 4 now. 1 for the turkeys, 1 for our pet bunny and 2 for chickens. 1 is the "penthouse" because the coop is above the run and the other I made was for the babies. I hatched them out and I didn't want adults in with 8 week olds.

All of the bases are made with 4x4's or better. I think the turkeys is a 4x6 but its a bigger coop too. We literally use the tractor for that one! The rest I move with a quad. There are also some really nice ones that you can make with wheels too.

This is the chicken tractor coop section... there are some REALLY nice ones in there!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-mobile-chicken-coop-designs

I love my tractor coops. It keeps them safe day and night since there is a run attached and they still get fresh greens and sunshine! I crawl in there with them too sometimes LOL.

I am so excited! I just put in my initial chick request to Ideal for next springs chicks! I am waitlisted for 10 chicks which are
2 SLW, 3 Blue Wyan. Bantams, 3 silver penciled cochin bantams, and 2 speckled sussex.

The timing could be terrible though. We are in the midst of selling our house and hoping to move into a more rural community (already found the place, just waiting/trying to sell).
So I checked into the ordinance (it is a historical preserve home) and it is chicken friendly! YAAY! But just received an email for the society to let me know that yes I can have chickens in unlimited numbers unless neighbor complain, then I am limited to 10. However I cannot have a permanent outbuilding to house them. ***!?! I can have them so loong as there is no permanent shelter? The lady I spoke to gave me some alternative options )all of which were feasible, but seriously? How is that for stupid ordinances??
Oh well at least I get my girls! And boys!
That is kind of strange, but many zoning and tax codes are strange and hard to decipher to apply to real life.

Might depend on what constitutes a 'permanent' building in your area. I have a 16' x 16' wooden 'shed', part of which is meshed off for my coop.
It is not considered a permanent building because it sits on concrete piers and has no water or electricity(except for the extension cord-shhhhh)
So it is not taxed as a permanent building with a full foundation and utilities would be.

CharterChick- Thanks for the link I will definitely be checking into that. I am also wondering if it would be feasible to add wheels to my existing coop or put it up on piers? I currently have a roughly 6x8 run/coop combo that I just built earlier this spring. Not looking forward to moving that but at least I built it in sections with screws so I can separate into 2 pieces.

I also toyed with the idea of making a straw bale coop. Construction speed is tempting on that one! OH well I guess we will see what they have to say once we move in, lol!

I have a turkey coop that is 8'7"x8'7" that I drag around with my tractor. If you put wheels on yours it might take a couple people to move it but im sure it's doable! There are lots for wheels online. I'll see if I can find some...

Thanks for the link CharterChick! I think we can rig up something like that
smile.png
I am also wondering if I have to actually move the coop, or if I just need the wheels so that it could be moved and therefor not permanent. Unfortunately the housing market has reached its seasons slump before the holidays and our sale deadline is fast approaching so this move might all fall through anyway unless they will grant us an extension.

Back
Top Bottom