maybe i have to many roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Dec 10, 2008.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    just wondering if my roosters would be why my hens arent laying good i have 3 one is 2.5 yrs old the other 2 are 6 months old thanks.. 13 hens 2-7 egss aday.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your girls?

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    If you have 13 hens, you only need 1 roo. [​IMG]

4. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Some hens will still lay with what's considered a higher ratio of roos....but some wont. What kind of chickens do you have, how much daylight are they getting, and what are you feeding them? How are the roo's treating the hens? Are they constantly mating them? Are they rough with them? These can all be factors in why your hens aren't laying.

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    answer to my rooster questions and hens the hens get about 9hrs of daylight right now . 2 of my roosters try to mate them reguarlly the other roo hasnt yet but could be that the other ones aremore dominant. my oldest roo is about three years old the other 2 are 6 months old next week. i have buff orps, delawares. nh. reds wht rock . and a Rrhode island red 2-7 eggs a day if iget rid of two roos maybe they will lay more eggs my hens are all 6months to 2 yrs old. 13 hens 3 roosters. i feed them layer mash blueseal brand only the best and also givethem cracked corn couple times a week.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:You have two roosters too many,I swear when I removed my rooster the hens start to look way healthier and happier.
    I got a new one but the new guy is scared to death from the hens.LOL.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have 2 roosters in the laying flock of over 40 hens. Believe it or not, they are all fertile eggs, too. You need to dump one roo.

8. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i agree want to get rid of 2 of them and keep my6month old buff orp roo .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by