Maybe I'm crazy, but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Southern28Chick, May 29, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm happy my chicks are outside! They seem happier now. They run around in their huge pen (40'x50') and their "cheeps" are turning into "clucks". They take bust baths and eat grass and bugs. I'm happy that my chicks are happy.

They love to stay in the house in the heat of the day (90-95 degrees) and come out when the sun goes over the trees (about 4:30) and stay out until the sun is completely gone (about 9:00). Then they go into the house and roost.

Most people say that they feel sad that their babies have "moved out" but I love it! Do y'all feel the same way?

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Yes, I would have to agree, I was glad when my chicks turned 6 weeks and I put them out into their new coop. I think the chicks were even happier. Much more room and new stuff to see and eat. I visit with them 3 times a day and watch them from my picture window all the time.

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    When mine were in the house they were scared of me when I came to visit, now they LOVE ME!!!!! They come runnin when I go outside. They are so happy now. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm thinking everyone is on vacation due to Memorial Day because there hasn't been very may replies to a lot of posts.

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Well, my girls aren't officially in the coop yet, but spend a few hours out there every day that the temp is over 75. They LOVE LOVE it out there. There are a few tiny 'trees' to run behind, and lots of dead leaves and grass (lol, I know that it's days are numbered!). I really think they love the fresh air, and they love to watch us through the wire. They are great about going back in the tote I use to transport them but how they hate the brooder! It is big, so it's not a space issue. I think they just find it BOOORING! Every time I open the top to feed/water/talk to them, they try to fly out.

I know I'll be happier (if more worried) when they can be out in the sunshine all day long. And I know they'll be happier too!

Meghan

BTW we didn't leave for vaca and I've been checking on here... I think you're right! The traffic seems to have slowed a little. Wonder if it's a hint about what happens with nice summer weather?

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm a little sad when the babies move outside, but sort of glad at the same time.
    I love watching their silly little antics while I'm watching TV or making dinner, but at the same time, I'm glad I can vacuum without little chickies flipping out!

7. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    the weather must be getting nice in maine,i use to spend my summers just living the high life at kennebunk beach, swimming, golfing, horseback ridding, sailing. lol now my life revolves around living on a farm in the middle of no where and living it up with my chicks......[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    It is weird the way they seem to hate the brooder at about 3 weeks of age. Mine looked so bored then when I introduced them to the new coop they seemed to come to life. I swear, they grew an inch or two since I put them out this past Saturday. Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought my babies hated me when they were in the brooder but now that they are outside they love me. They want to visit with me and jump on me and my rooster even "kisses" me every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by