Maybe it's Mareks maybe its a fluke thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelsea14, Nov 14, 2014.

1. chelsea14

chelsea14 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    So I had a necropsy and histopathology done on a hen that started to walk unbalanced, eating and drinking fine until that point. Got the results in yesterday and it doesn't make any sense to me. No enlarged nerves, a spot on the liver that the lab tech didn't feel comfortable saying it was a tumor or not. I called and talked to her and her thought was possible mareks but she isn't comfortable saying for sure, and based on what evidence I am not sure of either, I told her these were birds that were and quarentine and half was to go in my flock other half was going to be up for sale and I would feel awful if I sold someone a sick chicken. She basically said mareks is everywhere anyway. She also said because other hens look great maybe it was just a fluke thing. The hens were very malnutrished when I got them But seriously look great now. I guess I am just looking for opinions on what others would do if you were in my shoes?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you ask if they can still test for Mareks, which may cost extra? I would not sell any chickens if there is a possibility that she died from it. There is a blood test that can be done on a live chick (your vet would need to draw the blood, and send it off to Texas A&M or another regional center to test for it. Here is a link about the test: http://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests_service...ease-(PCR)&unit_id=1187&unit_effdt=2010-06-02

3. chelsea14

chelsea14 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    They said they don't do a test for mareks they just do the necropsy which they should have been able to tell... I will look into the blood work tho for another hen. Thank you

4. chelsea14

chelsea14 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    Any other opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by