1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Maybe it's Mareks maybe its a fluke thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelsea14, Nov 14, 2014.

1. chelsea14

chelsea14 Hatching

Oct 30, 2014
    So I had a necropsy and histopathology done on a hen that started to walk unbalanced, eating and drinking fine until that point. Got the results in yesterday and it doesn't make any sense to me. No enlarged nerves, a spot on the liver that the lab tech didn't feel comfortable saying it was a tumor or not. I called and talked to her and her thought was possible mareks but she isn't comfortable saying for sure, and based on what evidence I am not sure of either, I told her these were birds that were and quarentine and half was to go in my flock other half was going to be up for sale and I would feel awful if I sold someone a sick chicken. She basically said mareks is everywhere anyway. She also said because other hens look great maybe it was just a fluke thing. The hens were very malnutrished when I got them But seriously look great now. I guess I am just looking for opinions on what others would do if you were in my shoes?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you ask if they can still test for Mareks, which may cost extra? I would not sell any chickens if there is a possibility that she died from it. There is a blood test that can be done on a live chick (your vet would need to draw the blood, and send it off to Texas A&M or another regional center to test for it. Here is a link about the test: http://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests_service...ease-(PCR)&unit_id=1187&unit_effdt=2010-06-02

3. chelsea14

chelsea14 Hatching

Oct 30, 2014
    They said they don't do a test for mareks they just do the necropsy which they should have been able to tell... I will look into the blood work tho for another hen. Thank you

4. chelsea14

chelsea14 Hatching

Oct 30, 2014
    Any other opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: