1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maybe molting?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickenluvr91, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Chickenluvr91

Chickenluvr91 New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    California
    So my two cochin hens rare broody an have been in the coop about a week an no eggs. They are now naked from the chest down but just underneath them so i didnt notice this was going on till today when i picked them up. Im very worried what could this all mean? Yes they drink an eat some but they arent very active outside the coop. And my other two cochins are constantly outside an running around. But no feathers are lost except the ones all over the pen but they arent naked so i dnt knw wat thats about. And they arent laying eaither. Why no eggs, an why the feather loss?!

2. aquanautscott

aquanautscott New Egg

Oct 22, 2012
    I would say definitely molting; All my hens stop laying for a period of time, ranging from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months depending on the hen, when they are molting. They also vary between themselves as to how much they actually molt. Some of my hens you can barely tell are molting save for tail feather loss and a few patches around the neck, where others look like they are about 3/4 ready for the cook pot.
    During the molting period my hens also vary in there anti-social behaviors. A few of my hens get almost depressed looking and go to bed early and stay on the perch until later in the morning. One actually becomes aggressive towards the other hens even though she is close to the bottom of the pecking order.
    So basically the symptoms that you've listed describe my personal experience with the molting period of chickens.

Best of Luck,
    Scott

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! It does sound like your cochins are either molting and/or broody, molting is common this time of year, and cochins are always going broody and broody hens often strip or lose their chest feathers. You might double check them for parasites, have you wormed them recently, and make sure they are feeling well in case there is something else going on. But if they are broody and/or molting they won't lay eggs for a while either way.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I'm thinking maybe broody also, because the feathers are gone underneath. Broodies often pull them out to line a nest. Try putting an egg or two, or even a golfball in their nests and see if they decide to sit on it. That would explain eating less, and less activity, if they keep going back to the nest. If they are broody, you could put fertile eggs from another source under them to hatch.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Frequently broody hens will pluck feathers from their breast area to create a 'broody patch'.

10. Chickenluvr91

Chickenluvr91 New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    California
    Why do they make a broody patch? And week three an still no eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by