maybe next weekend (growl)..DH talked me into it

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by roosmom, Oct 7, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG] Four days til chicken harvest. Being first timers and scared to death, I am seeking words of wisdom. I want this to go as GOOD as possible. The DH has processed partridge, pheasant and goose. But those are birds of a different feather. SO, what SECRETS are lurking out there that are just screaming to be told to an inexperienced processor? Hubby hopes to build a plucker, I have had people tell me to pull off the little feathers with wax. We plan on using the construction cone method. Anyone have any hints? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if your DH has done goose, he's probably going to have this licked. you guys can do it!

(trust me, if i did, you can, because i had never done anything but helped gut deer!)

3. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    How many birds?

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Do you have a plucker?

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
  6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:oops.......didn't see you are building one. For pin feathers I used one of those kitchen scouring pads that 3m makes. If you gently scrub back and forth, it either takes them out or loosens them. Good Luck.

7. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Justpete and mtnhomechick, we are culling 14 birds from the flock. hubby is supposed to build a plucker.
    Allchookup, I appreciate the thread. I did a lot of looking on here for info before I posted this question. BUT I know people have found things out that would make it easier for the next person, that is why I asked. I really appreciated the video, didnt see that before. I would love to see a picture of this pithing since a lot of people are doing it, or at least a very graphic description.

8. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Make sure you watch your water temp. Put a couple of drop of dish soap in the water. Good luck.

9. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Hmmm, ok
    Drops of dishsoap in water
    Scrubby pad
    Watch water temp
    Rolled up newspaper
    Try dry plucking first
    Garbage bags
    Dont chicken out - be strong
    No feed 12hrs before
    Running water is helpful
    Comfortable work height
    Sharp knives
    Take your time
    Be ready to chg plans
    Have some whiskey ready for medicinal purposes
    Post high enough to hang chickies from to pluck
    Remember to label organs!

Thank you. Are there anymore out there? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  10. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    In the past we have used the axe but last week we tried the pithing and then cutting the juglar. My husband first thought I was crazy. Don't think we did the pithing correctly but the cutting the juglar was much cleaner.

We pluck dry because I can't stomach the smell of the wet feathers. We were able to pluck with no problems. Of course we don't eat the wing so we cut the wings off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by