Maybe NOT Her First Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I thought my EE laid her first egg three days ago. She had been sitting in the nest box and acting restless for a few days prior to the egg being in there. Everything seemed normal for a first egg. My question of if she has possibly laid outside of the coop comes purely from the size. One of her hatchmates started laying almost a month ago. Her eggs are still tiny (she's a BO). My EEs egg is the same size as my established layers' eggs. Does that seem off to you?

2. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I should also mention that the day she laid the "first egg" the flock was kept in the run. Traffic was terrible due to the fair so I didn't want to risk free ranging them.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The egg size of an individual chicken usually gets gradually larger as they lay, (not counting odd eggs like double eggs) but different hens and different breeds in comparison with each other will start with and lay different size eggs all along their cycles. Some EEs from some hatcheries are darn good layers and lay eggs almost as well and as large as the sex links and leghorns. So it sounds like you happened to get an EE that is going to lay nice large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by