1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

maybe sick of some sort, help???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kenny nlouann1, Jan 31, 2015.

1. kenny nlouann1

kenny nlouann1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    One of my girls seems to feel bad I take it.She stays n the coop when the others are n the yard.Most of the time she stays up on a perch wit her feathers fluffed.She's moving extra slow n when she does make it outta the coop she sits off to herself.She is eating but as I said,she's slow gettin to it n the result is she only gets what's left.None of the good stuff.As all the others are on it as soon as it hits the ground She's 1 of only 6 hens,1 rooster n 2 ducks but I have had them since they were just a couple days old.I have now brung her inside cause she's been acting this way a week or more.Anyone know what could be goin on wit her????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be ill, but she also may be low in the pecking order, and not getting enough to eat and drink. You said she is slow to come out and eat, not getting the good stuff. Do you put layer feed out for your chickens to eat whenever they want? I would put out several feeders and waterers in different areas, so that she has a chance to get food. If they are of laying age, they should get layer feed as 90% of their total intake, since it is a balanced diet. What do you normally feed? I would worm them all with a good wormer such as SafeGuard Goat Wormer or Valbazen. If she is having diarrhea or not eating, I would think about treating her for coccidiosis with Corid or amprollium in the water for 5-7 days. How old is she?

3. kenny nlouann1

Jan 23, 2015
    She's not quite a year.Right now she's right in front of me in a lil cage wit the door open.She jus sits there.I have food & water in there for her.I feed them flock sumtin or other its called.Its for ducks & chickens. The bag is outside in the coop n I ain't sure of the name. They also get corn,table scraps,cabbage.& there is several feeders.She's jus slow gettin to them.Like she's not bothered wit it.& by the good stuff I meant the scraps I throw in.I have had her since she's been just a couple days old n they have never been wormed so come Monday that's 1st on my list.If anything it won't hurt,right?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worming won't hurt at all, but I would use the SafeGuard or Valbazen, since Wazine will only get round worm. Do you feed FlockRaiser? That is very good, but when they lay eggs, you need to put out some crushed oystershell for extra calcium--they will eat what they need. Their feed should make up 90% of their diet, so you might wan to limit the extras including corn. Give her a little scrambled egg to see if she can put on some weight. If she continues to feel bad or puffs up and is lethargic, I would get the Corid in the cattle aisle of the feed store.

5. kenny nlouann1

Jan 23, 2015
    Right now she's still n the house.She's a Speckled Sussex hen.My ole lady jus loves her.She seems to love my ole lady as well cuz they cuddle together.lol She sits right on her lap while she sits on the couch.Its cute.& the food I feed them is called flock raiser.Thanx for all the advice.I'll definitely put it to use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by