Maybe sick turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by RlgNorth, Oct 14, 2009.

1. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Or is it just time to do the deed?

6 month old BBW
    No change in food or water
    no open wounds

She hasn't moved in two days. I have heard they can get soo big that they can't walk anymore think that is it? I litterally have to pick her up and put her in the coop at night. She is also laying more on her side. She pretty big girl too!

Little note she is still giving me an egg every other day. So no weird behavor exsept not moving.
    Have picture if needed

2. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Picture might help as well as weight. If she is huge it likely is time. Also does she have an obvious leg problem or any symptoms of a respiratory infection?

3. RlgNorth

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    What would be a sign of respiratory infection?
    she is breathing normally to my knowledge.
    She might have a sprain but her feet and legs look normal to me.
    I think I might just do the deed but was wanting to wait till teh weekend but if she in pain I will do it sooner I guess.

She weighs 27lbs give or take a pound

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

When you last saw her on her feet did she hold her legs normally? Not bow legged or anything like that? It could very well be a leg injury if she won't get up at all.

Steve in NC

5. RlgNorth

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Thinking back she has always kindof walked funny (big wobble) but had always managed to get by I will miss her terrible I tryed not to get attched to her I call her my pet turkey cause where ever I am in the yard she will follow me around (or used to) and then lay down at my feet. What is normal weigh to process a female turkey?

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps she went broody? She sure was pretty.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:If the legs turn inward the local turkey growers around here call them "cowboys" and they cull them young before they can't stand. I would think in a turkey house a bird that can't stand would get trampled pretty quick.

Most people go by time more than weight on the BB types. Tom's can get 50 pounds + , a 30 pound hen would be about average.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by