Maybe some of you younger folks would know?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Frosty, May 23, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Songster 10 Years

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Has anyone ever heard a saying 'make art like your parents are dead'? If so, does anyone know what it means?

2. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Songster

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nope [​IMG]

But now I'm curious, too.

3. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    never heard of it either

4. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Songster

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I googled it [​IMG] But surprsingly didn't come up with much. Tattoo's maybe? That was the only thing that kind of made of sense... [​IMG]

5. Oh that's creepy... it's said in the same manner as "Party like it's 1999"
    So my first thought was Celebrate... and that is SO not what I would do if I lost a parent.

But, then maybe it could refer to releasing your emotions, creating, going for your goals,
    as though your parents' expectations aren't on your shoulders?

Meh, it's a theory. I do tend to over-analyze so take it with a grain of salt.

6. Frosty

Frosty Songster 10 Years

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    You could be right PineappleMama, the whole message in this case read something like 'congratulates class of 2010. Make art like your parents are dead. [​IMG]' The thing is, it was my DD that wrote it and I found it rather disturbing. I wrote to ask her what the saying means since I had never heard of it (my 19 y/o DS never did either), and if I find out what her take is on it I'll pass it on. It just bothers me... I mean, I would never write to do something like your children are... I can't even finish that sentence! Even if that is what it means, couldn't they find another way to word it???

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. Yeah, precisely. I've been going NUTS lately with some of the comments coming out of my son's mouth. He just doesn't realize how much it freaks me out to hear my worst fears out loud... like he and his sister sniping at each other... he'll say something like "well I wish you'd fall out of a tree" (example) and I'm just [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I hear ya. Knowing it was for a graduating class makes me think maybe I was right... parental expectations can be a huge blessing OR a huge burden depending on if they align with your own hopes or not.

But, I'd never be so tacky as to put it quite that way... *shudder*

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah... thats a weird thing to say.... [​IMG]

9. I believe it has to do with releasing inhibitions, and doing the things you want to do (but your parents would disapprove of)...

kind of the opposite of how I try to live my life (other than from 10-11:30pm if DH's home [​IMG] )... Live your life like grandma's watching... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  10. arherp

arherp Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I have never heard of it..
    lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: