Maybe to early?...3 week old Blk Australorps

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TwoCrows, Mar 30, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am new to posting any pictures here so hopefully I can get them loaded [​IMG]

I have 4 black australorp chicks that I got from my local feed store that were supposedly pullets. They are 3 weeks old today and I am starting to see some differences in a few of them. I will only post pics of 2 of them as the other 2 are identical to these two, respectively.

All these chicks feathered out identically and at the same rate. 2 of them are large and the other 2 are small. So here is the 2 representing all 4.

Chick #1. She had tail feathers at day one and feathered a bit quicker than the others until day 3, with the others following. She is the smallest of the chicks and gets picked on more than the others. She has a very small comb but some waddle color.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2. She is the largest as with another chick, and stands like an ostrich! No waddle color yet and no aggression.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these babies look identical in all other ways. All feathered up the same, same tail size, all are as active as the other.d They are all just as curious and bold as the other. I know it may be too early, but any info would be helpful. Thanks, Leyla [​IMG]

2. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Hi Leyla! I will vote definite pullet for Chick #1, and probable roo for Chick #2. #2's feathers look a little more "bumpy" - I recently hatched Australorps - three roos and two hens - and the feathering was noticably different at two weeks. The girls were smooth and black, and the boys' feathering was ruffly and lighter.

Cute babies - good luck!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    the one that stands like an ostrich is a boy. the others the combs are not very big so maybe girls. My BA's got combs early and looked like miniture ostriches

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks! I suppose it is possible I have 2 roo's and 2 hens. So much for the pullet bin! [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't see any signs of a boy yet. They are too young to tell for sure. Give them some time to grow a bit. I always warn folks who try to figure this out too early that they will fool you. Even those who stand more upright can turn out to be feisty little girls. [​IMG] By 6 weeks you will know. The boys comb gets noticeably taller and redder than the girls .

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the replies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that my little girls stay little girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by