maybe weird question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cms1113, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    I was reading through some posts and someone mentioned maybe having to cull a chick. How do you guys do it, like what method do you use? ANd do you do it right away if you see a problem?

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am glad you asked this. My first hatch is due soon and I was wondering the same thing.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Unfortunately sometimes it needs to be done [​IMG] I only do it if it's obvious the chick isn't going to make it. I use a sharp pair of scissors and cut the head off.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I had to cull one the other day [​IMG] Sharp scissors is the way I do it also.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I break the neck by holding the chick in one hand and turning the head until the neck breaks. It's hard to do, but necessary at times.

6. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    OMG!!! I don't know if i can do that,lol. Do you have to do it often? Im hoping nothing will go wrong and force me to have to do that.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have only had to do two or three like that. Two of them got chilled and never thrived and weren't going to make it so rather than watch them lay around and die I ended it for them. The other was cross beaked and had leg issues and never would have been "right" so I ended that one's suffering too.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I can't do the scissors or breaking the neck thing. I use a rag saturated with starter fluid (ether) that I place in a large coffee can with the chick. They od on the ether fluid fumes.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If its a tiny chick, we use the starter fluid/ether method. They go to sleep quickly and never wake up.

10. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    Quote:[​IMG] That sounds a little better. I think i could handle that. Im almost certain i couldn't do the scissors thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by