1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maybelline's Near-Death experience

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bertman, Jul 16, 2011.

1. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    This afternoon, the girls are out in the yard free ranging while I'm adding wire to the run. I had been using the 24 foot aluminum extension ladder but took it down and laying it on its side I leaned it against the chicken tractor.

All of a sudden I hear the ladder fall. "What in the world could have caused that?" I thought to myself. Curious, I walked over to the ladder and it's just lying on the ground, having fallen over. Then, I see some movement between a set of rungs. Then, blending in nicely with the greyish soil around the ladder, I see Maybelline's head sticking out from under the ladder. She's pinned with the sides of the ladder holding her neck to the ground. She can't move her head and her body is barely moving but she's making some strange noises. (Probably chicken talk for "HELP ME, you dimwit!!")

I dropped my tools and ran over and lifted the ladder up, dreading to find that Maybelline has been strangled, or worse--decapitated.

Nahhh. She jumped up and flew like a rocket over to where the other girls were scratching in the grass. [​IMG]

She went over and hid under the nandina bushes--probably embarrassed about the ladder incident. A few minutes later and she's up and in her usual fine fettle.

WHEWWWW!!! Dodged a bullet that time.

So, that's a GOOD chicken emergency story.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Poor thing, she's very lucky.

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Are you kidding me?! So happy she survived that! [​IMG]
    She must have 9 lives [​IMG]

4. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

wow! [​IMG]

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Boy, every time I get done with the ladder I lay it down. I've heard of ladder accidents like that killing dogs. Close call for Maybelline!!!

6. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Whew!!! Close call for Ms. Maybelline. Glad she's okay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by