Mayland Raccoon issue

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jester8484, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    So the other evening I had 5 hens beaten to death by a suspected raccoon(s). 3 left dead in the free range area and 2 missing. 1 of the missing i only found a legand thigh bone (hinting at multiple preditors). the 5th only feathers. I have different breeds for each bird so it's easy to tell them apart.

[​IMG]

so what happens first, vengence.

I tracked the surrounding woods for signs of animals. plenty of trails and scat to track. found a hole. wasn't sure if it was raccoon or fox or else but I had a start. *picture uploaded.*[​IMG]

so i set a trap. *picture uploaded*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

havahart trap cpvered with sticks then leaves and straw. also put leaves and straw on the floor of the cage.

I put a chicken leg in the cage wired down and in one night I have Raccoon. *no picture*. I'm not giving the ******* any fame.

Now i did use a trap to release it but he didn't look healthy so I decided to shoot him.

currently he trap is reset and waiting for his partner in crime.

I also concidered the spring snare traps to pu on their trail system but haven't done it yet. still considering.

Also with out first child due in May I wasn't sure if I should buy more chickens or live with the 4 i have remaining... what hurts most is 2 of the birds killed were previously injured that i spent weeks nursing back to full health. one prolaps victim and the other had her comb ripped aprt in a rooster fight.

fun fact side note* the previously mentioned rooster was put down because he was too aggressive and mean was used as the bait to catch the raccoon. the irony is if i hadn't put him down he may have put up a hell of a fight on that raccoon.

I'll be limiting my free ranging for now. and stick with the fortress they have for a coop and cage.

thank you for your time,
    sad in maryland.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Farns

Farns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    WA State
    Why don't you predator proof your run, as opposed to hunting down wildlife? Just a thought!

3. grandpaw roo

grandpaw roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    Traps set all the time here.No predators!Populations are exploding in most areas.High price of fuel keeping guys from keeping numbers in check.Don't need Rabies and Mange around kids or pets!

4. jester8484

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    there must be a mis understanding.

the coop and run are preditor proof. as mentioned above they were "free ranging" and wandering around the property. currently i'm keep the remaining hens in lock down in the coop/run.
    here's the setup thats preditor proof.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/733346/new-to-the-site-heres-my-coop-build

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I guess you could also buy your eggs and chicken fingers from the grocery and sleep more at night.
    Just a thought.
    Buy the way all the factory farms on Earth have prediator proof facilities and these farms don't bother to hunt down wildlife either.
    Just a thought.
    What is the purpose of free range poultry if you or your birds get no benifit from it?
    Just a thought.

6. jester8484

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    by the multiple "just a thought", i'm sensing some sort negativity, allow me to provide more detail.

No sleep has been lost.
    I planned to release the raccoon elsewhere but he looked "sickly" (as previously mentioned) so it was needed remove the raccon from any area.
    I don't regularly eat my chickens and i already buy poultry product from the butcher shop down the road from me.
    My hens have free ranged for over a year with no issue and i put them on lock down in the coop every night. This was a rare day time raccoon attack. They had a very happy life on my 2 acre pasture area. I had not idea I needed to worry about day time attacks.Admitted rookie mistake.

I do have one thought, I own two dogs and one had spinal surgery last year and hasn't been off a leash since. we setup a small fenced area around the deck to keep her from running and hurting herself ( which she has done). so since December the dogs haven't been anywhere near the chickens area or in the main yard. I think that change had an impact on the situation also.

all feedback is appriciated though so thank you for taking the time to participate.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't believe the "just a thought' post was directed to you, OP. Looks like it was in response to the post they quoted. I would like to add my 2 cents, though. PLEASE don't ever release an animal - epecially coons or skunks who are notorious carriers of rabies, distemper, and other diseases. Also, I live in "the country". I really don't want someone dumping their now trap-wise animal out here where I live for them to kill my chickens. Please keep your problem animals at home and continue to take care of them yourself. Thank you. I do appreciate you killing the "sickly" looking one, but they don't all look sick right away.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats!!
    Yeah don't release them, they'll either be back, not survive in a new territory or cause someone else problems.

9. jester8484

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input. however I too live in the "country". I realize Maryland isn't know as Country but you have to drive past miles of corn fields and forrests to get to my how from any main road. I can see how that may not have been clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by