mayonaise

Buckhunter

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
looking for a home made mayo recipe .................... we have more eggs than we know what to do with !!!!! ................. 8^)

I used to make it by hand, but never again, this recipe is excellent. It's from Julia Child's The Way to Cook.

Machine-made Mayonnaise

For 2 to 2 1/4 c.
1 "large" egg
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. dijon-type prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice and/or wine vinegar (I like cider vinegar)
1 1/2 - 2 c. best quality oil- peanut, olive, or other oil- all one or a mix
(I use canola)
Freshly ground white pepper
More mustard, salt, lemon juice and/or vinegar, as neede
Droplets of sour cream, sweet cream, or water- to lighten the finished sauce if it's too stiff

Place whole egg, the yolks, and the teaspoon of mustard in the container of a food processor; process 30 seconds with a plastic blade, 15 with a steel blade. Add the salt and lemon juice/vinegar and process 15 seconds with a plastic blade; 7-8 with the steel blade.
Witht he machine running, start adding the oil, pouring it in a thin stream of droplets-keep your eye on the stream to be sure it is going very slowly. Keep the machine always running, and when you see that the sauce has thickened, you may add the oil a little faster. Stop the machine after 1 1/2 c. or so of oil, and check on the sauce: if it seems very thick, add droplets of lemon juice or vinegar, and taste for seasoning. (You do not need to use all the oil; if you like a yellower sauce, for instance, 1 1/2 c. may be sufficient.) Continue with the oil, if you plan to use all of it. Season as needed.

I like my mayo very yellow, so I don't use much oil. You'll see and hear when it becomes an emulsion. You won't want to buy premade mayo again.

Probably a dumb question, but what is the importance of changing from a plastic blade to a steel blade?

Quote:
Julia Child wrote The Way To Cook in 1989, food processors were not quite as advanced as they are now, and there was a difference between the two blades back then - now I think most use a metal blade except for specific purposes.

Indeed, I use the metal blade, but I'm a flunky for completeness, so I typed it all out. Really, I don't even use the recipe. I'll pour the oil straight out of the bottle. Once you've done it, you'll know exactly what you're looking for and won't need to break out the measuring instruments.

Back
Top Bottom