mccomb chick broorder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stew1, Oct 6, 2015.

1. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Just wondering if there is any one out there that know any thing about them? I found one out at my grandmas, its electric, 4' x 4', and has the spring looking heating coils. It does work and I was thinking about using it. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to run than the red brooder bulbs. Just so who ever reads this im hoping for around 100 chicks not just a small group. The 250 watt bulbs on all the time is kinda expensive, this has a thermostat and only sits about 12 inches off the ground. Thanks stew

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hard to find info on them. Here's what I found in Google Books:
    Publication: The Daily Journal-Gazette iLocation: Mattoon, IllinoisIssue Date: Monday, April 14, 1947
    Page 7
    Wolf Auto Supply. t-lS FOR BALE McCormlck Deerlng cream seperator. also McComb chick brooder.
    ------------------
    December 1, 1944
    Belvidere Daily Republican from Belvidere, Illinois ยท Page 7
    2 truck wagons; 2 steel wheel wagons; hayrack; J-D single-row cultivator; McD. hay loader; 2-hole corn sheller; fanning mill; McComb chick brooder, 300 size;
    --------------------
    I don't know what span of years they were made but seeing these ads, I would thoroughly check the electrical before using it.
    Best,
    Karen

3. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Ok I read the name on the dusty hood wrong its makomb. I skipped the thermostat and plugged it in and it turned on. I have a much better thermo laying around I plan on using. And yeah needs all rewired, old cloth stuff. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by