Mckinney TX city law

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MckinneyTXBYC, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MckinneyTXBYC

MckinneyTXBYC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I just called Mckinney city animal control and was told its ok to have up to 12 chickens in my back yard!!! GREAT news! we just purchased 8 baby chicks about 2 weeks ago. 4 red sex links and 4 speckles.

Does any one know whether HOA allows chicken as long as city does?

thanks bunch

2. MckinneyTXBYC

MckinneyTXBYC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Usually not. you have to look in your restrictions. congratulations on your city ordinances though!

4. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    The way it usually works is that HOA imposes restrictions - so unless your HOA expressly denies it, you should be ok. Read your CCRs.

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    you also have to be careful with the city ordinances. It may be OK to have chickens, but some ordinances say they have to be at least 150 feet from any residence. This is how it is in Grand Prairie which effectively bans chickens for most people. I wouldn't rely on the animal control folks, read the ordinance. They are usually found online at the city website.

6. Malie

Malie New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    I was just as excited to find out that our city ordinance had been changed to allow up to seven chicks. I was equally disappointed to find out today that our homeowners association does not allow them. I am currently researching how to get that covenant changed.
    Good luck.

7. micmac

micmac New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    I live in Lucas, TX and our HOA rules state that we can not have any animals unless they are properly housed. So we can have chickens as long as they have a coop.

8. texlady

texlady New Egg

May 4, 2012
    Hello,
    I my self just got two hens and built them a nice chicken coop in my backyard. I live in mckinney as well and I sure hope I get to keep them. I love my chickens.. I read the rules but didnt see anything about how far away the had to be from anything? any help would be great

9. McKinneyMagnum

McKinneyMagnum New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    We too live in McKinney and are looking into getting a few chicks for eggs but fear our overbearing HOA (had to get approval for a swing set) might not allow them. Anyone have experience with Stonebridge Ranch??

10. mckennawaller

mckennawaller New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    We're in McKinney too! We live in Stonebridge Ranch, and we're checking today about chickens. I doubt they'll let us, but.. Stealth chicken keeping isnt hard when your neighbors can be bribed by eggs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by