McM Light Brahmas, both males?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MerleMice, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    These were from the heavy male special at McM, & I'm wondering if perhaps we lucked out & got a female. Or if what I'm seeing is just due to their differing comb styles and individual sexual maturity. 6 weeks on the dot today. All the other roosters are very pronounced at this point (with the exception of a free-bee EE, which may or may not be a male or female. Heading over the to EE sexing tips & tricks thread)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    A body shot might help. Right now the guess is you have a pair, one girl, one boy...

3. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

*It just started raining here, so pictures aren't the best.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, it looks like you have a cockerel and a pullet.

5. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    I'd love it if it was the case! One of the female buff orps died a couple days in, so it would be perfect if this one does turn out to be a pullet. At how many weeks old can a person give a 99% sure answer as to gender, based on outward appearance?

6. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Update on this, several of the other birds from the heavy rooster special are turning out to be females, so I think the company messed up our order & pulled from the straight run. I don't mind!

7. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X2, you have a pair in that pic!

8. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    It's a long time past, but it was indeed a pair. Figured I should update for anyone interested in this topic. :p

The rooster sadly died during winter (he didn't come back to his coop and got ate), but the female is alive and well. I was so taken in with the breed, that when a friend offered me a new roo I couldn't say no, got some more females, and have recently hatched out a half dozen of homebred chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by