McMurray Barnyard assortments

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by nickie, Feb 2, 2012.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I'm looking for anyone who has ordered a barnyard assortment from McMurray hatchery. I'd like to know breed, sex and quality of the birds you received. This particular assortment struck my fancy as I am adding ducks this year and would love to add some turkeys in the future. Depending on what I hear from around here that future may be now. Thanks all.

2. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I got all double breasted whites for the turkeys, all white pekins for the ducks, and a brown chinese female and white chinese male for the geese. I lucked out on the geese being a pair, I LOVED them. Just make sure to teach them manners. I cried about the turkeys because they had so much personality but got to the point where their breasts where so big they couldn't move and I had to cull. Tasted great but I sure did want some "normal"ones lol. And the those ducks where the biggest, loudest, greediest, messiest group of birds ever! By the end they were eating 50lbs of layer ration a week! They tasted great :) almost made me hate ducks lol

3. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thanks. Did you get any females in the ducks or all males? I don't mind what breeds I get, I would just like to know if choosing something like this will give me any female stock.

4. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I don't remember the exact ratio of sexes with the ducks but at least half were female, thus the ear shattering quacking that made even the geese and guineas seem quiet. :) they were fun though and very healthy. I have always been happy with mcmurray. I only order from them or Ideal.

BTW did you know that ideal will let you mix ducks, geese, and chickens in the same shipment and there is no minimum order number, the total just has to be $25. I wish they would mix turkeys as well lol

5. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Hence, the mcmurray assortment. I want turkeys. I love my ducks now and the demand for their eggs around me is staggering... I'm still not sure about geese, although they offer an assortment without them.

6. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Cackle has a similar assortment of 1 pair of geese, 1 pair of ducks, 2 turkeys, 10 pullets, 1 rooster, and 10 assorted rare chicks. I keep looking at this special since you get a better idea of what you are getting. I keep debating on ordering this myself, I really want turkeys!

7. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY

Mcmurray also has a "homesteaders delight" which is 10 brown egg layers, 2 ducklings, 2 goslings, 2 turkeys.

Their barnyard combos are 3 different assortments one is ducks, geese, turkeys. One is ducks turkeys, one is ducks and geese.

I'm trying to find out about variety and quality in these mixes. I don't want to order and find out I'm gettin all drakes and toms in a straight run batch at hatcheries choice of mix, although I do realize it will probably weigh a little heavy toward the boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by