McMurray Bonus Chick... Black Australorp?

figliadelre

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Upstate NY
My Coop
My Coop
We're new to chickens... and this little beauty is our black sheep among our Buff Orpingtons and White Wyandottes. She's (he?) is adorable, a bit feisty, and LOVES to be held. After some image searches on Google we're thinking we've got a Black Australorp. What do you think? (this pic is at one week old)

It's possible. My first thought was Mottled Cochin, but the little bugger's clean legged. It's not a Houdan, because it's not crested. Maybe Mottled Java or Exchequer Leghorn?

Last edited:
Looks similar to my two Ancona chicks, but your chick has more mottled type coloring. Hmmmm. Beyond that, my guess would be Astralorp. I have some of those two, and they have the white wing tips, but their bodies are mostly black with only a creamy buffy on the belly. The Anconas have the really extreme black and yellow patchy bodies.

Below is a photo of one of my Anconas.

Last edited:
Here's a recent pic of my bonus chick. Any guesses? At this point we are still leaning toward a White Faced Black Spanish or maybe a Minorca. He's a bit bossy, but seems to be good to the girls. And if we find out that "he" is a "she", we'll be shocked.
big_smile.png

Oh, and I forgot to mention, he has a gorgeous greenish sheen coming through on many of his feathers. Not sure if that helps identify the breed.

even at her age the earlobes should be bigger if she was a he. I suppose she could be so far out of standard because it is a hatchery chick and the earlobes are just small for a male......but I dont think so. It's a female. Minorcas (and black faced spanish...they are closely related) mature very fast...if Im wrong your going to hear him try to crow pretty fast.

PS. Keep handling her as much as possible now....they can get a bit of a wild streak in them if not.

Last edited:
Really? A "she"??? I'll be so excited if you're right. We have two Buff Orp roos already for sure! And I am not looking forward to giving any away... they are all such happy, good birds right now. But if Blackie is a she, our flock might be okay with two roos.

Our exotic frequently chest bumps with the two Orpington roos. Do you think this is just because of the more feisty personality? He/she is definitely a curious, bossy, confident bird. We really like this bird's personality.
smile.png

Yea...not a good source (chest bumping) to tell if it is a he or she. Depending on age it can be playing, genetics kicking in and practice for pecking order (the young ones have their own little version of the pecking order as well, just not as structured as mom and dad) etc. I have even seen a hen do little half crows. "Sweetie" my queen of the hen house had to take over when I lost my # 1 rooster and her best friend. She tried to crow every morning until I replaced him and she got to know him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom