Mcmurray chick with crossed beak...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by never_ending_fermata, Mar 5, 2008.

1. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    do you think it will live very long? it seems to be eating fine and is 4 days old now...hmmmm just wondering

2. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had on that we hatched out, that lived for 3 years. I would give it yogurt and when we would feed the birds we always let her eat from the scoop. She even tried to sit on eggs. I would then move her in the house and put water next to her and let her eat out of my hand. With crossed beak you just need to make sure that they get enough to eat. They become the best birds because of all the attention they get. Ours would sit on our shoulders while we did outdoor work.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will depend on how bad it ends up when it becomes and adult and if you have the time to care for it. It can be genetic or a birth defect so generally best not to breed them. I had a severe cross beak that grew up to be a happy adult but was always hungry and happy to see us because we could feed him directly. His bottom beak was at a 90 deg angle from the top one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by