McMurray hatchery mystery chick. Pleas help ID.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Australorps82, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Australorps82

Australorps82 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    This is the mystery chick that we received from McMurray hatchery when we ordered our Australorps. I have since named him/her Trooper. I am almost certain Trooper is a female, but I may be wrong. I was wondering if any of you may know what breed he/she is and also if it is a he or she. It was a chick from the rare/unusual breed from McMurray.

The two pics below were taken at 3 weeks of age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pics below were taken at 5 1/2 weeks of age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think one of our Australorps became jealous and decided to one up Trooper!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of Trooper's feet. He has one more than the Australorps.

[​IMG]

2. Mix breed. Has silkie or some other 5 toed breed bird. If it didnt have the 5 toes, I'd still have no idea but I know that it's a mix breed and a rooster. No doubt at all that its a rooster. None. Nada. XD sorry! Can you keep Roos?

3. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Dorking cockerel. 100%. Also explains the 5th toe.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Australorps82

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, CochinBrahmaLover I can keep roosters based on where I live. But, I do not want to have mix breed Australorps. I already have an Australorp roo. Is this breed worth keeping???

5. ShayBaby

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Worth keeping if you want to get more and breed. Dorking are not extremely common. But like you said, if you want pure australorps, might not want another roo hanging around.

6. Ignore what I said, Shays right!
    They're not very common, just as meaty as austrolorps, and can add a bit of variety to a standard, pure black flock. If you want, far as I know their good layers (I think lorps are better though), meaty and like I said, some variety.
    So up to you, if you want, you can have 2 pens, one for mixed breeds / favorites of different breeds, and then a pen of pure austrolorps
    If ya don't want him, ill take him! LOL

7. Australorps82

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks ShayBaby, I don't want to mix breed the Australorps, but our family has become attached to Trooper and I was hoping Trooper was a hen. Now I'm torn as to what to do. So you guys absolutely with out a doubt think Troop is a cockerel????

8. ShayBaby

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Yep, sadly, no doubt.

You could keep him separate as a pet, maybe get him his own gals. Or there's caponizing..which I have no experience in.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. You can look into caponizing... Or you can put a chicken diaper on him, you'd have to wash it daily but he wouldn't be able to breed the hens

1 person likes this.
  10. Australorps82

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I appreciate the expertise you all have provided. I did a google image search on Dorkings and they are very pretty birds. I may just have to make an exception for Trooper. This is my first time raising chickens and I thought I had read that it was better to just have one roo. Not sure how the Australorp roo and Trooper would get along. You all have any info on two roos in one coop??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by