McMurray hatchery order- all are dying??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1Georgian, Feb 11, 2014.

1. 1Georgian

1Georgian New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    we ordered 31 chicks from McMurray hatchery. On arrival, 1 was dead, one barely alive, and 2 partly paralyzed or injured.

after that,3 hours later, two more appeared to become very weak, same results. all the others very healthy, eating, drinking, running around as normal.

today, 4 more appear to become very weak, within hours 2 more have died, 2 more are barely there. all the others happy, healthy, and running around at this point.

So far 8 died and more on the way. What is going on? i've always had succesful luck. Is this Mareks? they were vaccinated for mareks.

Apreciate your help!!!!!!!!!

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here, bought last week Wednesday a girl with ten chicks, one by one they died, this morning all six left is dead. Now one of my own breeding hens also show symptoms. In my case the feathers starts to show disorder, and after a day or two the wings hangs down. If someone knows, plz help

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I think I've read of others having some similar problems with that hatchery and their chicks this year.i don't know what's going on but it sounds as if they have a illness. I would certainly speak to the hatchery and have them replace your orders. Hopefully the next orders will be healthy. Have you called and spoken to the hatchery yet? Hopefully they stand behind their shipments. This is especially awful if they are transferring illness to your other birds. I would absolutely let them know this. One can't be sure the nature of the illness unless you can get one of the chicks tested. It might be wise to have one tested so you know exactly what your dealing with and what was brought on to your property! Some state labs will test for little or no money if you explain the situation . I wish you the best and I'm so very sorry this is happening !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think the problem lies with shipping stress from getting in chicks in February, and traveling through the mail with zero temperatures. Mail rooms and trucks are not heated. That's why most hatcheries ship in 25 minumum numbers to increase the chances of making it. March and April are better months for shipping. Peplers chicks didn't come from a hatchery.

5. Peplers chicks

Yes, sorry to mention, mine dont come from them, I bought mine at a auction. All the chicks is dead, and it looks like the mom is going aswell,

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Are you familiar with Coccidiosis? This could be the problem,coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and kills very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat.

7. Peplers chicks

I am not familiar with it, but read somethimng here on BYC about it, Will make plan to get hold of coccidiostat, thanks

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Unfortunately i am not sure if you can purchase Corid(amprolium)or might be called Amprol(amprolium)where you are located,if you can this is what you need. Once you find a coccidiostat we can give you dosage information as different coccidiostats have different doses.

9. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by