Mcmurray hatchery: SQ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by miss heny, Sep 12, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

i read on the Reviews on them breeds that they won shows with there birds, i want to know if any one on here did.

2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Ive saw at the 4h shows where hatchery birds havd won at shows. But I honestly think all the birds were poor quality, not breeder birds. [​IMG] At our county fair open show their were many different breeds, but one could definatly tell the difference in breeder vs. hatchery birds.
    I have both hatchery birds and breeder birds, and the difference in quailty is a huge difference.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:X2

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, take this for example - Murray McMurray, though it tells its customers not to show their "Americana/Araucanas," has a feedback log of all the "happy customers" with them. In quite a few, you find crap like this:

" I purchased 10 of your chicks from our local feed store. I took my Americana pullet to the fair and won 4-H grand champion. "

[​IMG]

I have yet to ever see SQ Murray McMurray birds. Yes, you can win with poor birds at a 4H, but no, that does not mean they were actually worth it. I've gotten 10 different breeds from them and none were close to the standards.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Our local county fairs do not go by APA standards. They have 3 categories: egg, meat and novelty. For the area, that means an egg bird is a molting red sex link, a meat bird is a Cornish-Rock hybrid that is squashed into a cage too small for it and a novelty breed is either a cute banty rooster or a Polish that crows constantly.

I won't do local fairs for this reason. The judges don't even know what they're judging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by