1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

McMurray Jumbo Pekin

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bumpershoot, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have any experience with the Jumbo Pekin offered by McMurray? Are they like the Corish X chickens in that they are meant to be strictly dinner?

2. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I posted earlier looking for info about these. I believe they actually come from metzer and according to their updated website it says they are bigger but they take about 12 weeks to get to that point. So I am not sure if they are worth it? I ordered a bunch of pekins from ideal for butchering but I plan on ordering a few of metzers jumbo/regular/n250 pekins to mix with a couple ideal pekins to keep as breeding stock. Then I could also compare the jumbos to the other pekin strains at the same ages.

3. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks protodon! Right now it's just hard to tell what the feed conversion for these guys is. If they grow faster then the average Pekin, then it would be fine. Otherwise, I'll just do the regular.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry to just jump in on your thread .. I will be doing a few Pekins this year and have been wondering how to slaughter them .. Do you do like you would with a chicken ? Or Pithe? Silly question but really not sure the most effective way.. Thanks

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I've never slaughtered a duck but I am just going to do it like a chicken and expect the plucking to be a little more difficult. I have never pithed before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by