1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

McMurray Mystery Chick Breed? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by boykin2010, Nov 9, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

This is my mystery chick from McMurray i think. It doesnt have any feathers on its legs, and it isnt a bantam unless they sent me an older bantam chick with my young standard chicks. I have been trying to figure out what this one is all day by looking on the hatchery website and google images but i cant figure it out. The only thing i have found that looks close is the buff japanese bantams but i really dont think this one is a bantam. It is the same size if not slightly larger than the rest of my chicks.
    The breeds of chicks i ordered are :
    buff orpingtons
    delawares
    turken
    single comb brown leghorn
    white leghorn
    silver laced wyandotte
    easter eggers
    black stars
    black australorp
    and red stars

2. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

Here is another pic that is better. What really threw me off was the black spots on it
    Anybody know what it could be?

3. hard to tell at such an early age
    EE?? Faverolle? [​IMG]

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    I HAVE NO IDEA!! sure is cute.
    LOOKS like a compleat mutt to me [​IMG]
    like a oops chicken.

ohhh EE... now thats an idea.. but arent EE legs green??

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. Quote:not always; they can look like anything, including leg color

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:not always; they can look like anything, including leg color

oh okay [​IMG] my vote is Easter Egger then [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like a Delaware chick.

1 person likes this.
  8. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Quote:X2

9. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    It might be a delaware because i ordered 2. I just dont see another one like it.
    I went out and counted each breed and compared to how many i think I ordered. I had 5 chicks that had chipmunk stripes on them. I should only have 4. 3 easter eggers and 1 brown leghorn.
    So maybe that one is a delaware and they gave me an extra easter egger. Which from what i hear are almost always roosters [​IMG]
    If its a rooster I doubt i will keep it

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:I have no idea what your chick is. But I did want to add this: I ordered chicks from McMurray this past spring. I received 4 extra chicks in addition to my order. Only 1 of them ended up being a rooster, so I got 3 free hens. If you ordered a Delaware pullet, and they had to substitute another breed because your Delaware was unavailable, they should have substituted another pullet. They shouldn't intentionally give you a rooster in place of a pullet you ordered. I can also say that McMurray was spot on with my chick sexing. All my girls turned out to be girls, and out of 4 straight run chicks in my order only 1 turned out to be a roo. So, out of an order of 32 (+4 freebies) birds, I got 2 boys. Not bad, IMO. I was very pleased with McMurray. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by