McMurray Mystery Chick-What Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Patchesnposies, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I have no clue about this little chick. The pictures aren't that great, he/she looks a little washed out.

The feathers are actually a beautiful color, soft shades of varying degrees of silvery gray.

Legs are slate looking to me. Very little in the way of tail feathers. This baby is about 3 weeks old.

Anyone care to venture an opinion or guess?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How about gender?

Thanks,

Deb

2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I want to say a Silver Phoenix, but do not take my word for it.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wouldn't phoenix have the eye stripe?

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    It looks a lot like my Buff Orp x EE chicks I have been hatching out this month. Of course MM isn't supposed to sale mutts so I would probably guess EE.

5. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Oh it does look so much like that. Wish I had a baby pic of my Silver Phoenix, it looked so similar also. Keep us updated. I would love to see what you have ended up with.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG]

this is my silver phoenix baby [​IMG]

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    do you know if it's a bantam or Large Fowl?

8. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I guess I have ordered to many from them, no not me. I will have to go find a picture of the one I had that ws grey. How old is the chick? Age makes a little difference with color.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  9. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    It came in an order of Buff Orp and Easter Egger pullets and it is the same size as the rest of the chicks. So, I am assuming it is a regular sized (standard) whatever it is.

I hope to order some more of whatever it is, or get some hatching eggs, I am a bit too OCD to have only one of whatever it is! LOL

I think it is really pretty. Easter Egger's are not a rare breed, though, so I don't think it is one of those. It definitely does not have the "cleopatra eye stripe" either.

Could it be an araucana (sp?)? Do the rumpless birds have absolutely NO tailfeathers? This little one has teeny tiny tail feathers.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by