McMurray Mystery Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ganesa_9, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ganesa_9

ganesa_9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Gotta love that McMurray Mystery Chick that comes with every order. The last time I got a Black Silky. Beautiful bird. Now I've got another black bird, this time barred, and I'm thinking it could be a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Maran, maybe. I'm hoping it's a Maran AND a hen, but you never know! Can anybody out there in the poultry universe help me identify this bird? Thank you.

PS: first time attaching a photo or link so don't be too disappointed if this doesn't work.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. ganesa_9

Jun 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. ganesa_9

Jun 29, 2011
    It's the dark skin on the legs that's throwing me off. Barred Rock should have yellow skin, that's why I'm still thinking Cuckoo Maran. When it was a chick it had a large white spot of chicken fluff smack dab on the top of its head...

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im leaning towards roo based on comb colour and wattle growth, but it looks a bit too 'dark' to be a BR or CM roo.......;?

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    could it be a Dominique? [​IMG] Nope, Dominiques have a rose comb. [​IMG]

6. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    The feather pattern look exactly like my barred rock girlies- That looks more roo tho....

7. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    I say maran! [​IMG] my Maran/araucana mix has the same barring and body shape..... except she's rumpless [​IMG] That just makes me laugh sorry.... anyway, I say maran... See my girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How old is your chick? I'm currently going through guessing whether mine is boy or girl too [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cuckoo marans have white legs. Looks like a barred rock roo.

9. ganesa_9

Jun 29, 2011
    Mystery Chick is a little over 4 wks old. Oh I'll probably have to wait to figure out what he/she is. This Mystery Chick stuff drives me crazy! It'd be nice if you could contact McMurray and they would have some kinda record of what they sent, but no! Can't complain though, always get good chickens from McMurray, and they usually send more than you ask for... we got 28 in the last order which is good since the USPS held our order over in Columbus for two days, and the local post office was of the opinion the chicks might be too warm in the box and kept them well air-conditioned so they would be cool. Only lost two out of the 28.

That rumpless chicken's got me worried (LOL)!

10. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Looks like a BR Roo. I am pretty darn sure, but gosh don't they fool us all sometimes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by