McMurray mystery chick.... ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sazbaby, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Sazbaby

Sazbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    We ordered Red Stars, Black Australorps, and Blue silkies. We received an extra blue silkie and our "Free rare exotic chick." Don't know what to think of it- it's bantam sized, like the silkies, and looks a lot like my Americauna chicks in the past as far as coloring. It has feathers on the two outside toes and only has 4 toes. The weird thing is that it is so far behind in feather growth- everyone else (all 1 week old today) has wing feathers extending back to the hip, and this one still looks like a newborn chick! If I pull her wings out, she does have a couple of tiny feathers, but nothing near what the others are sporting. Any ideas on what she will be? (hopefully a "she" but we will see....)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sazbaby

Jul 11, 2011
    After looking at all the feather footed bantams on their website, I'm thinking Dark Brahma Bantam?? Agree? Disagree??

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Agreed

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree!!!! You'll be able to tell if it's M or F after a few months because the freather patterns are very different.

5. Sazbaby

Jul 11, 2011
    That's cool- I'll be anxiously awaiting the feathers! Just seems weird that they are so much slower to grow than the feathers on all my other chicks. And the few that are under the fluff actually look sort of tan with black splotches, might have to go google the breed and see, the McMurray site only had a picture of the male I think.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

how fun. [​IMG]

7. Kazzandra

Kazzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    NC Appalachian Mountains
  8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    My understanding is feather sexing only works with certain breeds.

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My guess is roo, because McMurray almost never sends girls as the free rare breed chick. It's probably how they get rid of at least some of their males that aren't ordered.

The slower feathering is also a clue. I hope you can keep him if he is a he!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by