McMurray rare chic roo w/weird comb

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dojustice, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dojustice

dojustice New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    We got this rooster as our rare chick last fall. Can someone please, PLEASE, identify?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like an overgrown pea comb, what you see when a bird isn't pure for pea comb, as in, there is a single combed bird in the mix somewhere. Looks like an Easter Egger rooster to me.

3. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    Yep, Looks like an EE to me too

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i had a McMurray EE roo that looked nearly identical to him. he was one crowing fool, all the time, even while i was holding him. And would just as soon court a bug as eat it.

5. dojustice

dojustice New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    Thank you all! I want to give him away and wanted to be able to identify his breed in the ad.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a hatchery quality Red Cap roo to me.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't really think he's a Red Cap. If he is, he'd have to be the worst one I've ever seen, even for hatchery stock. We do, however, very often see those very large "gobby" pea combs on their EEs, which is quite often what McMurray sends for their so-called rare chick.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a shot of it standing and of its legs?

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think it's an EE roo as well. My EE X roo has a comb just like that, as he's a cross between a pea combed EE and a straight combed bird. [​IMG] Has a lot more wattle than my guy, although I have a hen from the same cross that has wattles to go with her beard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by