McMurray Rare Exotic Bonus Chicks, What are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DeGriz, Aug 4, 2011.

1. DeGriz

DeGriz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    Hi all,

These birds are 6 1/2 months old and VERY large.

They are feather footed like a Brahma, but I don't know what they are.

I think they are pullets, (they have not layed anything yet) but was told by someone they are roosters.

I have heard them singing but never heard them crow or seen them try to mount.

What say you?

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Brahma roosters.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Dark Brahma Roosters. [​IMG]

4. DeGriz

DeGriz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    Figures...

Darn!

Thanks for the replies,

I wonder if McMurray ever sends out bonuses that aren't roosters. [​IMG]

So that is the case....time to cut them loose.

Free to Anyboby in SE Wisconsin.

Hurry!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Probably only by mistake...some bonus, you feed and take care of it for weeks, only to have to find it a home. That kind of bonus I don't need. [​IMG]

Good luck rehoming them.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yep Agreed Dark Brahma Roos!

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Probably only by mistake...some bonus, you feed and take care of it for weeks, only to have to find it a home. That kind of bonus I don't need. [​IMG]

Good luck rehoming them.

Yeah, that's pretty much my attitude about it too... Except if it's going to be a rooster please make it a heavy breed that I can butcher for meat! First year I got a small scrawny Easter Egger rooster. Then I got a Blue Cochin, but the shipping was hard on him and he died within a couple days. Figures. Last one was a WCB Polish. There's NO meat on him. And with his crest all of the other birds pick on him.

But McMurray does let you choose whether or not you want their free rare exotic chick. I think I'll say no next time...

But on a good note, my first ever chick order was from them and I ordered Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, and Barred Rocks. When the box arrived there were no Barred Rock chicks and a note with a brief apology. And when I counted the chicks there were 5 extra little buff chicks which grew up to be Buff Minorca hens (and being a newbie, I mistook them as being scrawny skittish Orpingtons until they finally got white earlobes). As much as I don't like the Mediterranean breeds, I shouldn't complain since they were all hens. I was able to trade them to a neighbor for 4 Cinnamon Queen hens.

One thing I will say about McMurray is that I've ordered about 100 chicks from them so far of various breeds and genders, and EVERY SINGLE ONE was sexed correctly. That's pretty good if you ask me! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup.

9. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    They are a late maturing breed which is probably why you haven't heard them crow yet.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Our free rare exotic chick from McMurray ended up being a rooster too. He is a silver spangled hamburg and absolutley beautiful. My neighbor didn't hesitate to snatch him up. I must say though, and keep in mind I've only ordered from them once. Every single sexed pullet I ordered was correct. I also had 4 straight run birds in the order (I ordered 3, they sent an extra) and all of those are pullets as well. Maybe that was just luck of the draw, or unlucky because I wanted at least 1 boy. I'm not complaining, I would definately rather that I have to look for a rooster then have to take the time out and butcher or rehome them. I would order from them again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by