McMurray's Kookaburra

idunno.gif
pop.gif
idunno.gif

Don't get it from a hatchery, find a breeder. Look on softbillsforsale.com for some. One time I saw one for $700 or so, a Loy cheaper than a hatchery.

Yeah, I'd also recommend a breeder, and one who will give you good support and answers. If you haven't handfed before, I personally would not start with a kook...at all! There are plenty of young kooks that were hand raised by breeders for sale. If you have experience, know what to expect and the many complications and huge demands in baby bird care, then scratch that. I love kooks, especially human hand-reared ones, though they are constantly in your face. Literally. Flying right into it. They do well on a MEB/softbill/mouse and other dead things diet mix as adults, and will take insects and other enrichment type food. They are very sound-oriented birds (you can still see the bright blue feathers of their kingfisher heritage, but they lost their coloring in favor of unique calls for mate recognition). They will eat everything if you let then. Only species of bird I've seen constantly having to have the vet put them on a diet. They are gremliny and awesome birds.

Back
Top Bottom